Friday, February 22
- Friday Children’s Storytime at the Main Library. 10:15 to 11:00am. Free. Ongoing activity.
- Meadows Branch Library Family Game Night. Fun game night for the whole family. 4:00pm.
- Open Tumbling for Preschoolers at the Boulder JCC. Noon to 3:00pm. $5.
Saturday, February 23
- CU Wizards: The Chemistry of Cooking. A great way to introduce kids to the science in every day. Aimed at children in grades 5 to 9, but all are welcome! Cristol Chem 140.
- Boulder Folders: Learn Origami. Learn to fold beautiful origami. Main Boulder Library. 10:15am to Noon.
- Saturday Storytime. Main Boulder Library. 10:15am.
- Library Concert Series: Colorado Chamber Players. The Colorado Chamber Player’s “Revolutionary Times: Haydn and Washington” – World Premier. The CCP performs with actors, in a zany theatrical program all about Haydn’s quartet, the Revolutionary War against the British and European royalty. 11:00am.
- Family Day at the CU Museum of Natural History. Explore the animals, cultures, and environment of the Arctic. Try on the blubber mitt; look up close at furred and feathered creatures. Build a totem pole, design an inukshuk to show the way, make finger masks to enliven the long, dark winter and make snow goggles to protect from the bright arctic sun. Free. 10:00am.
- Junior Ranger Adventures. A winter adventure day which will include ice safety, building a snow shelter, learning how to safely start a fire and even making ice cream. For a special treat, watch the Boulder Emergency Squad perform an ice rescue demonstration! After completing all your outdoor challenges, kids will receive the title of Junior Ranger! Perfect for kids aged 6-12. 11:00am start at Mud Lake. A parent or guardian must be present. Registration is required. Contact Ranger Erin O’Leary, 720-352-7041 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- BMoCA [Boulder Museum of Contemporary Arts] FREE Day. This is a surprisingly kid friendly space!
- McGuckin’s Apprentice Series: Make a dog collar and leash. This is a great ongoing series. If you have a child who has a special pet they want to make a collar and leash for this would be a great opportunity. The only cost is materials. 1:00 to 4:00pm.
Sunday, February 24
- The Prairie Saga. We live on the short grass prairie and yet it is one of the most endangered and least understood ecosystems. Come meet Petey, the Prairie Dog, as he learns about the amazing animals that live on the prairie. Snakes, Black Footed Ferrets, Burrowing Owls and Ferruginous Hawks all tell us their stories in an entertaining and educational puppet show. The show is performed by Maureen Lawry and sponsored by the Boulder County Audubon Society. Meet at the Chautauqua Ranger Cottage. Ages 6 and up. This program is wheelchair accessible. 1:00pm.
- Buffalo Bill Museum & Grave FREE Day. Buffalo Bill’s Birthday Celebration! Free admission all day (9 am – 4 pm), free cake and ice cream starting at noon (while supplies last). Buffalo Chip tossing competition [if you’re into that sort of thing!] http://www.buffalobill.org
- Trickster Tales. Coyotes live throughout most of North America and coyote tales are found in many native cultures. Sometimes coyote has the power of creation, other times he battles supernatural enemies, and sometimes he’s a trickster, outsmarting people and animals alike. Take a moderate 2-mile hike at Hall Ranch Open Space to learn more about this clever, adaptable character. Dress for the weather, wear hiking boots or shoes, and bring drinking water and your sense of humor. All ages are welcome. Free. 10:00 to Noon.
- Go Club for Kids & Teens at the Main Boulder Library. 2:00 to 5:30pm. Ages 5 and up. Free. “Learn to play the ancient and mysterious game of Go.”
Monday, February 25
- Nature, Nature, Everywhere! Story Time and Children’s Hike. Celebrate the natural world both near and far as naturalist Ellen Orleans reads picture books about animals, plants and weather around the world and right in our own back yard. Children can join in the fun with sound effects, the color of the week, and their own observations. Afterwards, if weather allows, we’ll take off for a kid-friendly hike. If it’s too cold to hike, we’ll offer indoor nature activities for young children. Meet at the Chautauqua Ranger Cottage. Geared toward 3 to 6-year-olds. Wear warm clothes and bring a snack if you like. The story portion of this program is wheelchair accessible. 10:00am.
- Monday Storytime at the Library. Join librarians at the Main Boulder Library for an interactive storytime. 10:15am.
- Rise and Shine Storytime @ Barnes & Noble. 9:30am. Don’t forget the fun train table
Tuesday, February 26
- Grandrabbits’ Play Day. There is always a new theme Free. Children 2 to 7. 11:00 to 11:45am.
- Storytime at the George Reynolds Branch Library. Join librarians for an interactive storytime. 10:15am.
- Storytime Creekwalk. Meet at the Main Boulder Library for a story and walk outside. 10:15am.
Wednesday, February 27
- Wednesday Storytime at the Main Boulder Library. Enjoy books, songs and more at weekly storytimes for all ages. Children must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- Boulder Folders: Learn to Fold Origami. George Reynolds Branch Library. 1:00pm.
Thursday, February 28
- Thursday Storytime at the Main Boulder Library. Storytime for all children. 10:15am
- Open Tumbling for Preschoolers at the Boulder JCC. 9:30 to 11:00am and 2:00 to 4:00pm. $5.
Please let me know of any upcoming events that should be listed here. I am happy to include your free, low cost or unusual event in Boulder Family listing of weekly events. You can reach me at Boulder4Families@gmail.com or visit us on Facebook.
#families #free #Boulder #events #boulderfamilies #getoutside #February