Here is a list of some great family-friendly museums and destinations in and around Boulder. The links will take you to their websites for more research and information gathering. I highly recommend all of these!
- Denver Museum of Nature and Science [Denver] Fun day trip. Can be combined with a visit to the Denver Zoo for a really full day.
- Walker Ranch [Flagstaff Mountain, just above Boulder] Take a walk and learn more about early American history and homesteading life.
- Denver Art Museum [Denver] Great for kids of all ages. Interactive exhibits that change regularly
- Denver Zoo [Denver] The new Elephant area should be great and you no longer need tickets!
- Boulder History Museum [Boulder] Learn about our community. Great exhibits for families
- Denver Firefighter Museum [Denver] For those kids–and adults–who just cannot get enough of those red fire trucks.
- Denver Children’s Museum [Denver] This is a great experience for younger children. The first Tuesday of every month is free from 4:00 to 8:00pm
- Dinosour Ridge [Morrison] For the dinosaur/fossil lover in your family you can head to Morrison to see what the dinosaur’s left behind. Dinosaur Ridge is so close to Boulder and offers views of real, intact dinosaur prints along with educational exhibits.
- WOW Children’s Museum [Lafayette]
- Colorado Railroad Museum [Golden]
- Morrison Natural History Museum [Morrison] Hands on natural history and dinosaur exhibits.
Conveniently located in Boulder on the CU campus is the CU Museum of Natural History. Open seven days a week and always free, there are four galleries and a discovery corner for kids. During the school year there are family days one Saturday a month and in the summer there are workshops offered for children K-5th. It’s a wonderful resource for families in the Denver-Boulder area.