The days are getting shorter. To honor those shortened days–or to keep the light around longer–I am posting about a very cool lantern making project I found on the very fresh blog, willowday.com. These lanterns are beautiful, creative and easy to make with your kids. They use LED lights, so you may need to get those. Try Michael’s or McGuckins around Boulder.
Now that it is dark earlier consider a few things to do with your lanterns:
- Take a walk in the dark with just the lanterns for light.
- Eat by lantern light
After making “night lights” for Grayson’s camping birthday, I just couldn’t stop. My personal current favorite are the ones made of news print. They are just so fresh.
Francesca and Grayson helped me make this colorful tutorial.
1) Begin by either printing out the template, (PDF TEMPLATE HERE), on your desired colored paper OR print one template which you will use for tracings. I have one cardboard template ready at all times and like to have this handy. For a group of kids or party, having sheets already printed is a time saver.
2) Cut out the lantern shape on desired paper.
3) Punch holes with hole punch.
4) Fold the corners up.
5) Using the longest piece of tape possible, place in on the INSIDE of the box and very, very carefully pull the opposite side up and seal tightly. You do not want light coming out of the edges, so take time to seal these well.
6) Carefully insert the LED candle.
7) Press to light when desired.
I hope these bring beauty tables and even, corners of your home! Enjoy.