Boulder Family Events is a weekly listing of what is happening in Boulder that will be of interest to families. Please feel free to submit your unique, low cost or free events or ones you have heard about. This listing is a resource for all families, so please get involved!
Friday, July 26
- FIsh’n Fun! Join the Open Space and Mountain Parks folks for an educational program on fishing for the kids. Register here. 5:00 to 7:00pm.
- Noon Tunes on Pearl Street Mall. Head down to Pearl Street for some free, grooving good tunes. Let the kids play in the pop fountain and dance the afternoon away. Today is a Kids Day and features Lesley and the Flying Foxes family music–so perfect for the whole family! Noon to 1:30pm.
- Friday Storytime at the Main Boulder Library. Come listen to stories. Free. 10:15am.
Saturday, July 27
- Boulder Folders–Learn Origami. Informal origami workshops for people aged 10 and older or experienced younger folders accompanied by an adult. Please bring your own paper if you have it. Main Boulder Library. 10:15am to Noon.
- Boulder Outdoor Cinema presents Moonrise Kingdom. Commonsense Media says it’s a show good for 14 and over. Find this fun outdoor theater experience happening in the parking lot behind the Tea House just off of 13th street. Gates open at 7pm, a band starts at 7:30pm and the movie starts at dusk. This is a fun, family-friendly Boulder event.
- Strong Kids Triathlon with the YMCA of Boulder Valley. Children are able to experience an introduction to the sport of triathlon in a safe, friendly and welcoming environment…and make great memories at the Y! Children will race in heats determined by age groups. Each heat will cater to the skill level of the child and will include lap(s) in the pool, lap(s) on tricycles or bicycles and finish with lap(s) around the turf field. Each child will go home with a medal, t-shirt and a great memory. 9:00am at the Arapahoe Y. You need to pre-register.
- Boulder Farmer’s Market. Meet your farmers, do some artwork, get some lunch. There is always so much going on at the market! 8:00am to 2:00pm.
- FREE Day at BMoCA. Join them all day to delight in their exhibits or stop by during the Farmer’s Market for a fun kids craft.
- Twenty Ninth Street Live! Live musical performances Saturday nights throughout the summer. Food trucks, drinks, music. All outside at the Twenty Ninth Street Mall. 7:00 to 10:00pm.
Sunday, July 28
- Magicians of the Mountain Parks—A nature magic show for the whole family! Take an exciting glimpse into the spectacular lives of the wild ones. Professional Magician Paul Norton and Naturalist Lynne Sullivan will reveal the amazing survival strategies of the plants and animals we see here in the mountains surrounding Boulder. Head up to the Flagstaff Summit Amphitheater for this stationary nature magic show. 5 years of age and up. 9:30am to 10:30am.
- Junior Ranger Adventures: Emergency Shelter Building. Rangers know that fast moving storms can hit at any time in Colorado. Being caught in lightning, rain, snow or wind is a dangerous situation. Building an emergency shelter is a survival skill that all rangers must know how to do. Learn how to build an emergency shelter so that you can stay dry, warm and safe. This event is part of the Junior Ranger Adventures Summer Challenge, a program for kids, ages 6-13. Meet at Heil Ranch from 10:00am to Noon. http://www.bouldercountyopenspace.org/jr
Monday, July 29
- All Aboard the Tebo Train. Calling all kiddos, enjoy a free ride on Pearl Street Mall’s one-and-only Tebo Train! Children ages 10 and under (and accompanying adults) will chug along the beautiful Pearl Street Mall on the only set of wheels permitted “on the bricks”! Board from 10 – 11:15 am in front of Wells Frago Bank at the corner of 12th and Pearl Street. Admission is FREE!
- Meadow Music. Meadow Music programs are our most popular (and very fun) education and outreach events. Children and parents join OSMP’s Jeff Kagan, Paige Doughty, Mark Wesson and other guest artists for evenings of children’s music and nature education. The evening consists of a short, kid-friendly hike on the McClintock Trail followed by 45 minutes of nature music for kids on the Chautauqua Green. Best for kids ages 2-8. Meadow Music is free! Bring a picnic, bring a blanket, rain or shine.
- Kids Eat FREE: Larkburger & Cafe Mexicali
Tuesday, July 30
- Teen Summer Film Series: Edward Scissorhands. For middle- and high schooled- aged youth only! Pizza in the Teen Art Gallery at 5:00. Movie in the Canyon Theater at 5:30.
- TEBO Train on Pearl Street Mall. Free. 10:00am to 11:15am.
Wednesday, July 31
- Waneka Lake July Concert Series.Tonight is the Chain Station
Chain Station is a 4-piece, high-energy, get ‘em out on the dance floor stringband from the Front Range. Good fun for the whole family. Starts at 7pm at the Waneka Lake Park.
- Bands on the Bricks. Get down and enjoy great live music playing on the Pearl Street Mall. Check out the line up here. Free. 7:00 to 9:00pm [libations starting at 5:30pm]
- Boulder Farmer’s Market. Meet your farmers, buy some veggies, get some dinner, listen to live music and even have a beer. There is always so much going on at the market and it’s not as crowded as Saturdays, so it’s great for families! 4:00 to 8:00pm.
- FREE Night at BMoCA. Join them all day to delight in their exhibits. 4 to 8pm.
- TEBO Train on Pearl Street Mall. Free. 10:00am to 11:15am. More details in the June 10 listing.
- Kids Eat FREE tonight at Wahoo’s!
Thursday, August 1